Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

CONFIG.SYS error

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Setup and Configuration » All the Rest » CONFIG.SYS error « Previous Next »

Shannon Howerton
Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2001 - 6:55 pm:   

I just recently installed a new CDRom to my old 233. The device works but at start up I keep getting a message about a config error. It tells me there is an error on line 3 of my Config.Sys file, it is either missing or corrupted. This is what I have within my Config.Sys:

[COMMON]
REM ****** CD-ROM ******
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\CDROMDRV.SYS /D:CDROM001 /UDMA /Q

[COMMON]
REM ****** CD-ROM ******
REM DEVICE=C:\CDROM\CDROMDRV.SYS /D:CDROM001 /UDMA /Q

-------------------------------------------------
I've tried using the ; after SYS on line 3, but is does nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Shannon
Kevin
Posted on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 8:12 am:   

I would save config.sys calling it say config.bak and then open config.sys in notepad and put the word rem and a space in front of the line DEVICE=C:\CDROM\CDROMDRV.SYS/D:CDROM001/UDMA/Q

Kevin
V (Vera)
Posted on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 11:18 am:   

what operating system are you using?
it sounds like real mode drivers are loading.

go to device manager and select the performance tab.does it say

your system is configured for optimal performance

or is there a message about dos real mode drivers

are there any statements in your autoexec.bat file pertaining to your cd-drive that looks something like this?

lh c:\rmcd\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001

if there is mention of mscdex.exe in the autoexec.bat file, put rem and a space in front of the statement and a rem where kevin said to put it in config.sys. reboot to see if windows detects the cd-drive and installs the proper drivers.

if all goes this way you don't need those particular statements in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files. if your unsure about deleting them it's ok to just leave them remmed out.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page