Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Please help

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Setup and Configuration » All the Rest » Please help « Previous Next »

john b
Posted on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 8:38 pm:   

i just upgraded my pc from a 333 to a duron 850 and not when i use my pc it frezzes or turns my monitor off and i have to reboot. so i took it back to the coputer shop and they tell me its fine anyone know what it might be
thanks
Matt Weston (Matt12330)
Posted on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 9:00 pm:   

There are a couple of things to try.

You didn't specify which operating system you are using, but in the control panel, there should be an icon called Power Options or Power Management (or something similar).
Make sure that your PC is not going into Hibernate mode from this applet. There are many power schemes to choose from. Personally, I set mine to "Home/Office" and set the "monitor off" and "hard disk off" settings to "Never".

If you always leave your computer on, you might want to change this to suit your needs.

There might also be a BIOS setting for APM (advanced power management) - make sure that your BIOS isn't putting your PC to sleep. If there is a setting for it, enable the APM so that the Windows settings control the hardware - not the BIOS.

Let me know if it helps
john b
Posted on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 9:34 pm:   

ok i am using win 98
in the bios power management it says
acpi aware o/s yes
power management enabled
suspend time out disabled
hard drive time out disabled
ring on power on disabled
rtc alarm power on disabled
rtc alarm date everyday
rtc alarm hour 12
rtc alarm minute 30
rtc alarm second 00
keyboard power on function disabled
power on by lan disabled
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 10:02 pm:   

It sounds to me like a Win98 operating system problem. Everything you listed in BIOS setup for power management seems O.K. Since it is AMD based it warrants asking which chipset is the motherboard and has any of the chipset drivers been updated? What video card is in it and what version of drivers are installed?
john b
Posted on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 - 10:06 pm:   

ok the chip set is sis 735
dont know if they were upgraded i just got it yesterday , and i have a radeon 32 mb tv out card hope this helps
E.S.
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 10:55 am:   

Try running the Radeon at 2X AGP speed, the performance won't be diminished and the system will be more stabile. Also check ATI for patches on the Radeon.
Adam Low
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 11:42 am:   

Hm.... just my 2 cents here.

Under the power management options in the control panel, check if your system will go into suspend or sleep mode upon a period of inactivity; Win 98 has a tendency to put some computers into "extended sleep/suspense until (cold)reboot".

I had similar problem with my older computer, and the only thing that was allowed to "rest" was esentially the monitor..... :)
sujayanthi perera
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 2:16 pm:   

I,m a Student.
My computer watch(time)is not working all the time.It is working only using time.I turnoff my compter time also stop. If my computer low battery,What should I do? atherwise my computer power management doesn't have alarm tab.
I'd like to work time all the time. please help me for that.
Thank you very much
Sujayanthi
E.S.
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 8:49 pm:   

I am assuming your CMOS battery is low, a CR2032 battery is the normal replacement.
Julia Field
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   

I am not real computer literate, But I have a problem that I cannot fix. Any suggestions? When I go into my e-mail (Outlook Express) and try to open an attachment "Windows Media Player" pops up and it will NOT open the attahcment...anybody know what is going on?
E.S.
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 9:59 pm:   

What is the type of file you are trying to open?

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page