Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

BIOS Settings

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Setup and Configuration » All the Rest » BIOS Settings « Previous Next »

DER
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:08 am:   

I am sure there is a simple solution to this (hopefully) but I am not real confident with all of the BIOS setups in a computer. The computer is actually my sister's and she needed more RAM to play a few games for her kids(only had 32mb, games needed 64mb). I went to her house and pulled the RAM so I could see what type it was (non-ecc, sdram, 66mHz), so that she could buy some more. Told her to buy at least another 128mb since ram is so cheap. After installing the other bank of RAM, she got a message at start-up that said something about the clock speed and my neice reset all of the BIOS settings to the default setup parameter. She was still having problems so I looked at the computer. Upon boot up, after the Primary master is detected, the message "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please check - CPU Soft Menu." comes up. If you hit the F1 key to continue, Windows 98SE boots and the computer appears to run fine. The only thing I noticed is that during the intial boot up the computer says that it is a 300Mhz Celeron but in the CPU Soft Menu of the BIOS the CPU speed is 233Mhz. Should I simply bump that up to 300Mhz? Is the CPU being affected when the computer is run with the current settings by pushing F1? All that I know is that the BIOS is V4.51P6, and the number across the top when in the BIOS is 2A69KA1E. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

DER
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:51 am:   

First check to see which CPU is in the machine, Celeron 233 could be the default setting for bios but who knows? If it is indeed a 300 MHZ celeron and the bios is set (by default) to 233 MHZ it is probably trying to downstep the multiplier on a multiplier locked CPU and the BIOS is generating the error at startup.
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 10:55 am:   

Oh yeah, one other thing, check the CPU soft menu for Auto Detect CPU enabled or something similar. That should ensure the CPU will be setup properly.
DER
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:15 pm:   

I will try looking at the processor. Obviously this is an older computer. The processor is a slot 1 style processor, I could see that when I first had the case open, but I will try to look at the serial number (I did briefly look at the processor and was unable to see the speed).

The only item in this "soft menu II" in the bios is the CPU speed (which is adjustable) and the voltages (which are not changeable). There is no CPU Auto-Detect....at least not in that menu.

As I said, now and before the bootup always showed at 300A celeron processor with MMX. If I try to adjust the current CPU setting to 300 will I do any lasting damage to the processor. This is my sister's computer and I am really worried about doing some serious damage.

Thanks again for the help and I will try to find the information you suggested.

DER
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:51 pm:   

From the 300 slot1 on, multipliers are locked so nothing will happen if you set it at 300. Thus the error with 233 setting.
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 12:58 pm:   

I also did a search on the post number 2A69KA1E Comes up as ABIT motherboard Model number BH6 Intel 440BX chipset. Nice board. If you want to know the exact spec's check it out at http://www01.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/xb3/y-koujin/DosV/abit_bh6.html
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 1:04 pm:   

66 FSB speed is correct with a multiplier of 4.5
James T Mueller
Posted on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 11:56 am:   

I have been trying to upgrade my CPU. I was instructed to upgrade my BIOS first, so I want to the HP site and down loaded the Bios upgrade and instructions for installation. My problem comes in with the instructions that are provided. The instructions are in part that I take a 3 1/2 floppy and format it. "Click Copy system files only" This last instruction is confusing because there is no option like that on my computer. To upgrade my BIOS I need to have the floppy with first the "system files" then I am told that I need to open and unzip the BIOS file onto the same disk. Please explain how I can do this with out causing other problems. Thank you
V (Vera)
Posted on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 4:59 pm:   

double click "My computer"
right click the 31/2 floppy A:
select "format" from the drop down menu
in the "format type" section mark off the "Copy system files only" bullet
click start
and there ya go

I use winzip 7.0 in classic mode
if your working with winzip (classic mode)
double click the zipped bios file which should open the winzip program
click "I agree" to continue

in the window you'll see the contents of the zipped bios file
leave the files un hi-lited (to extract all of them)and click the "extract" button
in the "extract" box that pops up ,look in the right hand pane to select the floppy drive, where you have the "format with system files only" floppy
click the extract button to extract the bios zipped files to the floppy

you now have a formated floppy containing system files and the bios zipped files
what ever decompressing program your using this is the general idea

good luck

vera
V (Vera)
Posted on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 5:31 pm:   

by the way it's highly recommended to flash your bios with your pc connected to a ups. if you should lose power during the flashing process you'll end up with a bad flash resulting in a non functioning motherboard.
there are methods to recover but they are not guaranteed

some informative reading

http://www.sysopt.com/articles/recoverbios/

http://www.wimsbios.com/
James T Mueller
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 9:44 am:   

My problem is that there is no option in the "Format type" section to "copy system files only". This option does not exist on my computer, at least if it soes I can't findd it. Your instructions are very simaler to the ones from the computer manufacturer.
V (Vera)
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 1:23 pm:   

ok then if you know how to work in dos you can make one there

shut down to dos or boot with your windows boot disk when at the a: prompt, type c: and press enter to switch to the c: drive
put in your a new floppy and type so it looks like

c:\>sys a:

that will transfer the system files and make you your system file only boot floppy

check back to say how your flash went

good luck

vera
Richard P
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 5:59 am:   

I have an old Dell 486 and I don't know how to get in and change the bios settings (the del key does no work).
Please can you tell me how I can get in to change the settings for the disk drive I am using (since I have just changed the drive ove from 100 M bytes to 500M Bytes).
win
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 8:45 am:   

try F2? it may work. otherwise i'd contact dell and ask. be prepared to give them all the info on the computer if you can. if anything, get the bios string code on startup, or the name of the pc IE: model number.
v (Vera)
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 10:30 am:   

try F1

or try disconnecting the floppy drive. You should get floppy drive failure message and possibly enter setup or the key combo to enter setup.
Richard P
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 1:29 am:   

What is the key combo though?
v (Vera)
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 8:50 am:   

The floppy drive error usually will halt the boot process. At that time read what it says on screen. It may take you right into BIOS setup or the error message may include what keys to press to enter setup.

After thinking about it, I remember an older compaq I had that wouldn't let me directly into BIOS, but after installing another harddrive it detected the change and let me change and save the paramaters.
win
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 12:25 pm:   

richard, the key is one of the topmost key rows on your keyboard, there is an F1 thru F12 there. that is what you press, as vera said, you can try F1, or as my dell laptop does, F2 gets me into the bios. mmmmm, depending, you can try other keys, such as F10, these are a sample of keys to access the bios.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page