Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

PC Problems Please Help

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Setup and Configuration » All the Rest » PC Problems Please Help « Previous Next »

Gary Hamilton
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 3:16 am:   

My mouse stopped working and my graphics went to 16 colours, I got these problems sorted out but now I have no sound (I reinstalled the drivers and there is no conflict) and also when I try to run some programs it tells me I have a problem with ddraw.dll which is in directx. I have directx8 installed. Also when I try to run winamp it says program has performed an illegal operation and gives me a message of MMSYSTEM002-A device id has been used that is out of range for your system. Any help would be appreciated.
E.S.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 1:25 pm:   

Hi Gary, What operating system are you using and what are your system spec's?
Gary Hamilton
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 2:43 pm:   

I`m using windows98se and my processor is an athlon750, sound card is a soundblaster 128 pci.
E.S.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 5:17 pm:   

First boot in SAFE Mode and look for duplicate drivers under device manager and delete them. Reboot your system and let windows redetect the hardware and install drivers(have your drivers handy). Check for conflicts. If all is O.K. and everything works you are good to go. If not than read ahead:

There is a "quick and dirty" way to resolve this issue which involves
uninstalling the entire Multimedia component of Windows 98, but this
is not recommended and still may not solve the problem. The following is
a procedure to deal with this specific issue.

Click on Start and choose Run.
Type "msconfig" (without the quotes) and click OK.
Click on the System.ini tab.
Double-click on the MCI folder.
Remove the check from the line that says "waveaudio=mciwave.drv".
Click on the Win.ini tab.
Double-click the MCI Extensions folder.
Remove the check from the line that says "wav=waveaudio".
Click on the Startup tab.
Find the lines which refer to CBWHost and CBWAttn and remove the checks from those lines.
Click Apply, OK, then reboot the system.
or
This won't fix your overall problem but it can get Winamp going.

1)open menu
2)select "options"
3)select "preferences"
4)select "output"
5)select "Nullsoft DirectSound plug-in [OUT_DS.DLL]"

This allows Winamp to use DirectSound instead of wav.

Realaudio and other programs still won't work.
E.S.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 5:28 pm:   

The main problem is the first time you lost all the drivers and reinstalled them DirectX8 and your registry were altered and there really is no way to get it back to where it was previously unless you back up your data or have ghosted your drive previously in which case you could reinstall with it. Either way, I recommend to get everything running again, a fresh install.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page