Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

K7SEM MOTHERBOARD LONG DELAY WHEN CLI...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Setup and Configuration » All the Rest » K7SEM MOTHERBOARD LONG DELAY WHEN CLICKING OR USING THE KEYBOARD « Previous Next »

shawnwilliams
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 4:33 am:   

Hi,

I have a K7SEM motherboard with an 950 AMD chip, I have 256 meg RAM running windows ME.

All apears to work OK except for an annoying delay when you click or select any options from pull down menus in applications, there is an annoying delay of about 2 seconds which I cannot understand why. apart from this problem the system seams to run fine and apears quite quick in all other areas.

Currently the system BIOS is running under the fail safe options, I have tryed the optimised options but this does not make any inprovement.

I would appreciate any feedback or ideas anybody could give me please.
E.S.
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 7:58 am:   

Sounds to me like a cacheing problem, How is your computer setup for disk access? is DMA enabled? How many programs do you have running in the background? WinMe has horrible memory usage issues even with nothing running in the background. Let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
shawnwilliams
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 11:46 am:   

E.S.
Thanks for your reply, I have gone into device manager and selected my hard disk where I have found that DMA is selected.

Im not sure at the moment how the PC is set up for cache, but it did not make any difference when I loaded the optimized settings.

At the moment I only have a few applications open Word, IE 5.5 and a couple of folders.

Its really strange as sometimes I can click on the start ICon or any other pull down menu and it will respond immediately, and yet if you come back to a few moments later there is a long pause ??

shawn
shawnwilliams
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 11:58 am:   

E.S.

Further to my last message Windows is showing my hardisk as a generic IDE hardisk type 47

and I have the following under hard disk controllers primary ide controller dual fifo
secondary ide controller dual fifo
sis 5513 dual pci ide controller

Im not sure if this is correct or not ??
I am not that technical

appreciate any help or advice

thanks

shawn
E.S.
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 7:31 pm:   

Download and install the SiS 5513 bus mastering drivers, it should help considerably http://www.sis.com/support/driver/utility.htm the driver is IDE DRIVER AND SUPPORT.
shawnwilliams
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 9:29 am:   

I have downloaded the file you suggested, I just simply double clicked it on and it began extracting, requesting me to restart my PC. I assume that was all I needed to do ?

If so the problem still remains ?
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 11:51 am:   

I may be grasping at straws here but are you using the onboard video? If so, than this is probably causing the lag. It sounds as if you have tweaked every setting you can on that SiS chipset.
shawnwilliams
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 4:02 am:   

Yes I am using onboard video, think its using 8 Meg of RAM. strange thing is that when you first turn the PC on it respondes OK. once its been on a while and you have been opening and closing programs it starts showing this annoying pause. very evident when trying to select pull down menus etc.
E.S.
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 10:41 pm:   

That is one of the problems with shared memory video adaptors, even with 256 meg of ram.
Mike D.
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 10:12 pm:   

Trying to find manufacturer of K7sem.

But to shawnwilliams, you can increase shared
video. Not too much. I think anything below
32 meg works.
win
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 11:22 pm:   

i set the system memory to my board, on an asus a7m266 motherboard, for the msi agp 64 meg ddr card, to 12 megs in pci mode, and 20 megs in the other. nvidia drivers, not the ones come with the cd. i also went from 256 megs 2100 ddr ram, to 512 megs 2100 ddr ram. works great.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page