Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

IBM Thinkpad 380ED system install

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Setup and Configuration » All the Rest » IBM Thinkpad 380ED system install « Previous Next »

Kai
Posted on Tuesday, November 4, 2003 - 4:51 pm:   

HELP!!! I'm a MAC user trapped in IBM perdition (or partition, as the case may be).
Have a friend's new used Thinkpad purchase and need to reformat the drive and load WIN98. Easy enough, right? I managed FDISK okay, and did Format C:. So far so good. Got the win98 CD to acknowlege and run setup. BUT! Now it wants to run a whole legion of "missing files" that are tailed ".dll" and several other confusing things (.exe I understand, but the others are beyond me). Everything appears to go perfectly until it gets to the Setup Wizard, and then it says that this is missing and that is missing ad infinitum, and I have no idea how to go about searching for the missing files. HELP! Feel free to email me or whatever.
Thanks!
Kai
JIM C
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 7:42 pm:   

Windows 98 setup... it loads some of the files, then it wants More files from the CD when it reboots. Problem is, it didn't you load a cd driver yet. So - here's a short version. Start over. when it reboots and says put in the 98 cd - hit cancel. after you see windows is running, shut down and reboot. Now when it finds new things, and asks for the CD, it will have the cd drive listed in the 'browse' box. Now, once 98 is in and running, you may need drivers for the hardware that 98 doesn't contain. Like video, modems, lan cards, etc. I suspect it's missing the Networking 'stuff'. Now, not to be rude, but - DON'T screw up other peoples stuff just because you can. If you have no clue, leave it alone.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page