Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

** Unable to BOOT... (disk creation??...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Setup and Configuration » All the Rest » ** Unable to BOOT... (disk creation???) --- HELP! ** « Previous Next »

Vegetaman
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 6:36 pm:   

I got a secondary, junk computer, to mess around with... And I had to delete all the junk off of it (the hard drive, in particular). So I had to format it. The problem is, it's unable to use a CD drive... So I formatted it in DOS, since it had no form of windows.

Now, when I turn it on, it comes up and says that there's nothing there, and "insert a boot disk" to continue... But, there's no command prompt, and I don't know what kind of boot disk I need.

If it IS a MS DOS boot disk I need, how do I go about making one? I can't even find the dos directory for the life of me!

Am I screwed since I can't hook up a CD Drive?
Jim C
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 7:31 pm:   

Formating removes ALL the info from the hard drive, so there is no directory of any kind.. it's empty. To boot it, you need a bootable floppy disk, so - with a working computer, go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download an image of a windows 95 boot disk. Create a floppy from the image, and it will even contain CD drivers so you MIGHT be able to hook up a CD and have it work. They also have DOS bootdisk images. For the life of me I don't know why newbies use commands when they have no clue what the command does. FORMAT completely erases a drive, so why you thought the DOS directory would remain is beyond me...

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page