Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Why does my $#@% DSL/Ethernet Card ke...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Networking, Modems and Connectivity » Why does my $#@% DSL/Ethernet Card keep freezing my computer? « Previous Next »

Adam Low
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 4:01 pm:   

I have a 3Com Fast Etherlink 10/100 card in a custom-built Athalon 700 MHz on a FIC SD-11 mobo and 256 PC 100 RAM. When ever I try to download songs from Napster or whatnot, when there is a consistent uploading and downloading, it will hang. I used to be able to let my computer sit and let it download overnight, but it seems like I just cannot do that anymore. Any clue, anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Adam Low
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 5:12 am:   

Okay, problem solved (I think)

I went through numerous sites trying to figure out what happened to my computer when it was working fine till I reformatted it. I was about to give up until I came to a site discussing computer building. Darn if I did not bookmark that site down. Anyhow, it was saying that at times, it is best to strip the computer down to the bare necessities, and install everything, and then add the cards into the system one by one. As such, I stripped my computer of the network card and sound card, reformatted and reinstalled Win98SE, got everything going, then the sound card, then the NIC. Now everything is working fine again.

I hope this adds to the learning curve for those who are experiencing similar problems. Cheerio!
edwin
Posted on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 2:52 pm:   

Probably a less-than-fortunate reshuffle of your IRQs by windows. It seems to do that at times for no reason at all.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page