Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I Need Help

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » ...All the Rest » I Need Help « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chris Maryon
Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2001 - 9:00 am:   

Hi,
I have here two COMPAQ Armada M300 Laptops, the one in question runs on Windows 2000 and has been experiencing problems with links to various programs i.e. you could not open a program from its icon or shortcut but you could be opening a pre-generated file or document. Any way it has now crashed and has been handed to me to see if I can rectify.

The basic situation is as follows. Once the power is on it comes up with the Compaq logo and has a counter in the top left hand corner for kb which it runs through until it gets to about 30,000kb (I only mention the counter as it hasn’t always done this) and then stops and give the following message
“Disk I/O error
Replace the disk, and then press any key”

There is no disk and it does not respond to any key pressing. I have tried holding F8 (Safe Mode) during start up and it has no effect.

Does ANYONE have any ideas? I would really appreciate any suggestions as to how I may be able to get it running again, or at least get the files off it.
Dave
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 7:02 am:   

Sounds like your hard drive is dead. You were probably getting file corruption which caused the shortcuts to get screwed up. Try booting from a win98 startup disk and see if that works. If it does, try getting a bootable hard drive diagnostic disk for that machine from Compaq and running the tests. Hopefully you are still under warranty...

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page