Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Printer port problems

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Printer, Scanner, Camera and USB » Printer port problems « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jaclyn Nowakowski
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 7:23 am:   

Hi,

I am having trouble printing.... I get an error message that says two-way communication between the printer and computer can't be established, and when I try to troubleshoot I am not getting anywhere. I have tried replacing the printer cable, but am still getting the same error message. How can I find out if it's the printer port and how would I go about replacing it?
V (Vera)
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 8:24 am:   

hi
were you able to use this printer previously? did you replace the cable with the correct type? a bi-directional cable?
V (Vera)
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 1:04 pm:   

in an e-mail from jaclyn nowakowski to vera

Hello,

Yes, I was able to use this printer previously. I replaced the cable
with
the exact cable that I was using previously before the problem started.
Any suggestions?

hi jacklyn
did you check for resource conflicts?
ie: irq or i/o resources that the printer port is using?
something trying to use those same settings could interfere with the signals

have you re-positioned your printer with a switch box or chained it with another device
maybe a cable in between the devices is not correct

have the bios settings for your printer port some how been changed? check your printer manual and see what settings they recommend.

you could try re-installing the printer port
1. boot to safemode, go to device manager and remove any mentions of printer port (lpt port) from the ports catagory
2. re-boot and see if it detects it.
if it doesn't, use add new hardware to detect it

you could also try re-installing the drivers/software for your printer

some ideas

hope something here works for you
Carla Molenkamp
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 3:19 pm:   

I have a Hewlett Packard 648C deskjet. I was printing out some stuff, the printer was working fine, but was getting low on paper so, I decided to add more paper. Well, the next thing I know, I'm getting a message that there was an error writing to the LPT1, the printer is out of paper, add more paper and retry. The printer had plenty of paper, not too little not too much! I tried uninstall and reinstalling, disconnecting the cable and reconnecting and everything I could but nothing is working! Please help! This printer is less than a year old, have only replaced the ink cartridges 2 times! Thank you in advance for your help. Please send me advice to my e-mail address, cjr0118@aol.com
V (Vera)
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 4:34 pm:   

did you try re-installing lpt1 and the printer and software

more help
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/get_doc.pl?SNI=hpdeskjet620191&LC=printers&Tfile=bpd04682
Roberto
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 9:26 pm:   

Another something to check, has the Bios settings been altered. Many BIOS contain a setting to allow Bi-Directional Printer Ports.
Roberto
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 9:28 pm:   

Oopps! Vera is on the job. You go girl!

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page