Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

ARRGH! MoBo Help!

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Motherboard / CPU Related » ARRGH! MoBo Help! « Previous Next »

ChrisWebb
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 12:35 pm:   

I just upgraded my mother board to an ABIT TH-7, 1.3Ghz, 512 MB Rambus, Gefore2 Ultra, and when I try to boot it gets into Windows and tries to install all the new Mobo devices but it will lock and reset the computer automatically, or it will lock right away and I cant get into windows, any ideas? Is mt mobo DOA? Thanks.
Rob (Robwalk)
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 7:07 pm:   

Just a thought. Try setting the mobo bios to default. If this this ngo then try fitting another Video Card if you can get hold of one. This solved a similar problem I had recently.
Regards,
Rob
V (Vera)
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 7:44 pm:   

hi
what i'm wondering is ,does the harddrive still have the same operating system installed from your other setup? ie: did you fdisk and format your drive to prepare for the new motherboard? upgrading a motherboard is different than upgrading to a new harddrive where you can copy the contents from one drive to the other drive.

hope this helps
Chris Webb
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 9:28 pm:   

Ok this is what I think has happened (sigh) Since my CPU was overheating during the install process of the Mobo devices not everything got installed correctly, now I can get into windows, only for it to ask for a location of a driver for an unknow device, and of course, my CD drives have concieniently dissapeared. Any ideas on how to dig myself out of this one. My only thought is to rebuild my system with my old Mobo to get it back to working then retry with the new one again...sheesh I really did it this time, thank you for your help guys...
chris Webb
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 9:40 pm:   

forgot to add that if I cancel the installation, it just sits at my background, no windows or anything just a lonely mouse...
V (Vera)
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 8:30 am:   

hi

just for the heck of it when it asks for the windows disk, redirect the request to c:\windows\system(or sytem32) if win2000 has these folders

can't hurt
Dave
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 3:30 pm:   

Try booting it from a win98 startup floppy. This will give you cd support in dos. Then copy all of the "win98" folder from the install cd onto your hard drive. I suggest c:\win98 as a location. Now reboot and your install files will be right there on your hard drive when windows asks for them. Just redirect it to c:\win98 and presto! your are golden. I normally do a clean install this way too, it's a lot faster, and windows will forever after look to the hard drive for install files instead of giving you the dreaded cd-rom prompt.

Incidentally, it's not usually a good idea to try and "reuse" a windows install with a new mobo/cpu/video setup, for obvious reasons. This is particularly true if you are making a big leap forward, like from a Pentium 133/PCIVideo to an Athlon 1.3/GeForce11UltraQuatro. It just ends up consuming more time and causing more troubles than it would to do a fresh install. Usually, it CAN be accomplished, but why bother?
V (Vera)
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 4:42 pm:   

dave is correct in this recommendation. i also find it to be the best,fastest and least error prone way to install

check back to say how you made out
Michael
Posted on Sunday, October 7, 2001 - 9:48 pm:   

Think that answers my question too. But how can I do a clean install of Windows without losing all my other software? I do NOT want to reformat my drive. I don't mind manually rebuilding part of my registry, but I'd hate like heck to have to reinstall everything, especially since several hundred Meg are downloaded from the Net with a 56k modem.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page