Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Comp restarts after being idle and in...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Dead, Dying or Booting Problems » Comp restarts after being idle and intermittently while working. « Previous Next »

J Ehrichs
Posted on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 10:17 pm:   

I'll be just computing away and bam it'll reboot. This is like every 5 minutes. Plus as soon as I let it idle for any length of time as soon as I wake it up it'll do the same, and sometimes it'll let me execute something and instead of launching it it'll reboot as well.

So I start troubleshooting. I removed every card possible in my system:modem,Nic,soundcard, and reformatted again. Same old problem. So I tried 2 different RAM Modules, 2 different HDs and disconnecting my CD-ROMs. I've replaced the power supply and used a different video card as well. Everything has been replaced except the motherboard and CPU. If I had a spare one of those I'd try those as well. It's down to those 2 components

I don't think it's a BIOS thing because I had a good flash update about 2 years ago and did one again as I thought it might be that. Problem is still there after new BIOS flash. The fan on the CPU is spinning away happy as a lark and the comp boots up just fine.
J Ehrichs
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 4:07 pm:   

Ok so I borrowed a PIII 450 from a friend and it stopped doing it. Put the PIII 500 back in and it starts doing it. So I KNOW it's the processor. I'm assuming I can call up Intel and since I bought the processor and motherboard a year ago +- a couple months I should still fall under the warranty. Any suggestions dealing with Intel. I may or may not still have my receipt and/or retail box that the processor came in. I know that's bad and I'm going to be looking for it this evening.
V (Vera)
Posted on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 2:53 pm:   

hope you found those receipts.i think a good thing to do would be to go to the intel website to see what conditions apply to your cicumstances. when you know what they are obligated to do it's easier to deal with them. of course your puchase receipt it very important otherwise i wouldn't hope for to much from them.
good luck
let us know how you make out
J Ehrichs
Posted on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 1:48 pm:   

Well I did find my reciept and gave intel a call. They're sending me a replacement after I send in my bad cpu. I'm glad things are working out so well.
V (Vera)
Posted on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 2:28 pm:   

nice when it's as easy as that
J Ehrichs
Posted on Thursday, November 8, 2001 - 11:50 am:   

Well I received my new cpu today and plugged it in. No problems yet, so lets keep our fingers crossed.
V (Vera)
Posted on Thursday, November 8, 2001 - 3:54 pm:   

X
J. Ehrichs
Posted on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 7:08 am:   

grrrr. Started doing it again. I don't know why the motherboard would be doing it with the 500 and not the 450. It's totally pissing me off. Only cost so far is $10 to ship the cpu back to Intel but I was hoping that would be the solution. Well I'm off to buy a new motherboard, eventually, as I want to buy one that will last me longer than this one. It's an FIC VB-601. Anyone have any recommendations? I need at least 1 ISA slot, AGP, and it HAS to be an Intel bus. I've had way too many problems with the Via. Any suggestions? Bring your friends Vera, we're the only 2 getting in on this one. :)
V (Vera)
Posted on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 7:35 am:   

whats the wattage of your power supply?
J Ehrichs
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2001 - 8:19 am:   

300. That's about the minimum these days, if I'm thinking correctly. Perhaps I'll borrow a higher wattage PS from a friend and test it out. I hadn't thought about an undervoltage problem because I had ruled the PS out when I put a new one in. It was also 300 w though so it wouldn't have changed the situation. The main thing though is this didn't start doing this up until 2 months ago. I would think an undervoltage problem would have been noticable right away. The component configuration has always been the same so it's not drawing any more power than it was in the past.
JEhrichs
Posted on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 6:29 pm:   

Here's an added twist. As long as I keep my winamp playing mp3s the computer works just fine. What it's doing is keeping something active on the motherboard that when it goes idle causes it to reset. It could be any number of things on the motherboard. No clue but it's definitely something on the motherboard.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page