Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Crazy Spasticated Poltergeist Mouse

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Audio and Input Devices (mouse, keyboard, joystick, etc.) » Crazy Spasticated Poltergeist Mouse « Previous Next »

Tran Ho
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 6:51 am:   

Hello, I would like to know if anyone has had the problem of going to an internet website and then suddenly, from then on your mouse seems to have a life of itself. I am in this very situation. It is as if there is another hand steering the mouse. When i try to click buttons or links, or drag scrollbars, or anything really, the mouse actually moves away from the link or button or scrollbar! I read somewhere once that if you have a trojan horse your mouse can sometimes go weird. I have virus-checked and found nothing (though it might be something new). I have checked the internal rollers and they are fine. I don't have a PS/2 mouse. It's the old type. If you have any information please, it would be helpful to know. Thanks.
Michael
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 12:12 pm:   

Is this a particular website? Or just any website in general? If it's a particular site, then it may just be a mean trick they play on visitors. Does it do it when you are not online?
Brett
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 7:59 am:   

It sounds to me like you may have some form of Trojan Virus like Sub Seven or NetBus. Though you have a virus scanner, by default they are not set for maximum security. Not only this, but your virus definition files may be old, and your scanner wouldn't recognize recent viruses. Although NetBus is extremely old, as well as SubSeven, I cannot think of any other way you're mouse would obtain a life of it's own. If you have Win95/98 Go to Start, and the Run command and type "sysedit" without quotations. Look in WIN.INI or SYSTEM.INI for anything listed in the "BOOT=" or "RUN=" command lines. Sometimes it's normal to see a file listed here, but if you see something like "Server.exe" then it's a Trojan Virus. Or as Michael has said, it could be some JavaScript code on a website that just plays around with your head. I reccommend using a virus scanner to check your system. If it detects a virus, please read on how to manually uninstall the virus before you just delete it. SubSeven has the ability to hook itself fatally deep into the system. If removed your system could fail and you might be unable to run .EXE files. You can go to www.mcafee.com and look in the virus information database and search for Sub Seven and find out how to fix this problem if it occurs. But print it out before it happens! Reply to me and let me know what you find. Also, If you're familier with the netstat command, when your mouse goes beserk use netstat and look for an open port on "12345" (netbus) "27374" (sub seven). Some smarty pants will open a connection to your machine on port "13900" to make it look like "139" (net bios session). I've dealt with Trojan Viruses for years and I've seen some pretty bizaar things happen. I've also seen credit card info stolen along with passwords to critical operations, businesses, etc. So be careful, chances are your screen is being captured every 2 seconds and you're mic is recording when you don't realize it. Every key you press could be sent to someone's email, the possibilities are endless. It's imperitive you have your situation checked out. Again, let me know how you make out.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page