Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Complex RAM problem, please take a st...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Memory Related » Complex RAM problem, please take a stab... « Previous Next »

gsc220
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 2:20 pm:   

Here's the problem. Suddenly, my Dell Inspiron 8000 started acting strange, mostly it seemed kind of slow for a new computer. I thought it might be some sort of virus eating up ram. Then I went into task manager and saw that MSTask.exe was eating up all the ram and that's why it was slow. I know of the virus which uses this program to eat up RAM and after restarting it seemed fine--the CPU usage was back down to 0 for MSTask. But now when things seem like they are a little slower than normal, and I open task manager, it says I'm up around 70% CPU usage and then after a second or two, the CPU usage goes back down to 0. This seems to repeat when ever I open my task manager. To top it all off, I can't even play audio CD's in my drive because it eats up so much ram that they skip so bad, the music is literally not even recognizable. So there you have it, some sort of a RAM issue. I would really appreciate some help if anyone has any ideas please e-mail me. thanks a lot,
Greg
V (Vera)
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2001 - 5:22 pm:   

did you do a virus scan?
Alejandro Sifrim
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 2:01 am:   

The Problem:

I tried to upgrade my old 486 by putting some new ram chips (replacing the old) and when I started my computer the RAM check said that I had less RAM than before.Not only did this happen but in about 7 seconds my screen went black and since then I can't get any visual. Can somebody help me?
Kevin
Posted on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 4:02 am:   

Sounds like your computer may not have liked the new ram or by chance the new ram is faulty. I would put the old ram back in where it was and try it. Never heard of any viruses that could eat ram.

Worked on a friends old 486 a week ago trying to add ram and the end result was only one of the three sockets would recogonize any of the sticks.

Kevin

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page