Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

HOW HOT IS TOO HOT FOR CPU ????

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Motherboard / CPU Related » HOW HOT IS TOO HOT FOR CPU ???? « Previous Next »

Rob (Robwalk)
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 5:37 pm:   

I have just upgraded from a Pentium III 1GHz based system to an AMD 1600XP based system. I am happy with everything except the operating temperature of the AMD cpu. The amd gets over the 140F - 150F (60C - 66C) mark regularly and this is 20 degrees higher that the Pentium. Do I need extra cooling fans or are these temperarures safe.
Thanks for any advice.
Rob
E.S.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 11:02 pm:   

Hi Rob, AMD's do run hotter than Intel's that is a fact but your temps should be 40C to 50C at Idle so if 60c to 66c is with a full load on the CPU you are o.k. If your temps are 60c to 66c at idle than more cooling is needed. By the way are you using onboard monitoring thru bios or thru a software app? The readings in software app's can be off by as much as ten degrees +\- and need to be compared to bios readings and the offset adjusted from there.
ManFromMars
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 11:35 am:   

If you want a good fan for an athlon/duron, go to www.overclockers.co.uk - fans specially for overclocking!
Hope that helps...

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page