|Posted on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 1:48 pm: |
MB: A7M266 (DDR) Proc: Athlon 1.2Ghz 10 Gig WD HD 512 MB DDR
Device manager gives me an error on the primary IDE controller (dual FIFO)Code 10 - and all fixed drives are in MS-DOS compatability mode. ("device is installed but it has a problem")
I have re-formatted the HD and reinstalled Windows ME several times on this drive, but am still getting the same problem.
I tried another HD (Seagate 1.2 Gig), but got the same error when I installed ME.
The real kicker - I have yet another HD (40 Gig WD) that has been working fine for several months, and is not showing this problem?
Is it possible that my board has developed a problem, and if so - why not with all hard drives?
As a test, I borrowed WIN XP and installed it on the original 10 Gig drive- it worked fine. I re formatted and reinstalled ME - and the IDE problem returned.
Does anybody have a clue what my problem might be ?
|Posted on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 3:14 pm: |
Sounds like the freeky probs I get. I could get simplistic and say it is Windows ME up to its tricks as I think it is a horrible OS and I have gone back to W98se.
I cant see the fault being with your mobo as XT would have given the same error message. Just a thought, have you set the bios to support the 10Gig hdd. Could be it is set for wrong size hdd. This would explain why the 1.2G drive gave error as well. Let me know how you go.
|Posted on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 9:44 pm: |
Also check that motherboard chipset drivers are up to date WinMe has horrible chipset support for DDR chipset motherboards builtin as the technology wasn't readily available for code when Me first came out so Microsoft didn't have a lot of info for new drivers built into it. That includes the bus mastering for PCI IDE.
|Posted on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 12:52 am: |
i agree, i have win98se on mine and it works fine, get the drivers from asus, unless you have them on cd, and install them, don't let win98me do its thing and install drivers. it's messed up.
|Posted on Tuesday, January 8, 2002 - 1:08 pm: |
A wise man once told me - never overlook the obvious.
On a whim, I switched IDE cables between the primary and secondary controllers.
Problem solved - bad IDE cable.
Thanks for the advice. You can bet I'll be back.