Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

No power at all aghhhhhh!!!!!

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Dead, Dying or Booting Problems » No power at all aghhhhhh!!!!! « Previous Next »

Suzanne
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 7:14 am:   

I just ordered all the parts to build a new machine. It is a 1st Mainboard FR33 (FIC) motherboard and a Celeron 1 GHz processor. There are no expansions cards as all I need is on board (both sound and video). I have also installed PC 133 SDRAM memory. Everything went fine during the installation, but when I tried to power it up, nothing! No beeps - nothing! Please help! Also, one questions should the board power up without a processor or is the processor required for the system to boot (just curious) Any help is greatly appreciated, I am ready to pull my hair out!
E.S.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 9:38 am:   

You need the CPU in for Power On Self Test or POST as it is called. Since the FIC has everything imbedded on the board removing vidcard and sound card are not possible to narrow down problems, the only thing you can check is to make sure all your connectors are where they are supposed to be like the reset switch, and power switch, HDD LED, PWR LED, Floppy and HDD cables, Fans, ETC. CPU support for the 1 GHZ Celeron should be O.K. I see Tigerdirect sells the board and CPU as a combo.
Suzanne
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 3:29 pm:   

Yeah, tigerdirect is where I purchased it. I have checked all the jumper setting over and over and they are all correct. I have another CPU that fits into the motherboard specs. Should I try this one and see what happens? Do you think that this may be a power supply problem?
E.S.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 3:57 pm:   

When you first attempt the power up do any of the fans attempt even a feeble spin? The cpu could very well be in question, if you have another celeron to put in it, give it a try. If it doesn't start up than it's power supply, memory, or the board itself. Also check your case connections especially the power switch, Some cases have a 3or4 hole plug lead and the board only supports 2 hole plug leads so you may think it is plugged into the board but not making proper connections. In this case some creative modification has to be done to the switch lead.
Suzanne
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 5:15 pm:   

Well clever modifications to the switch lead is way above me! There was no spin on the fan. There was NOTHING!!! I hit the power button and got nothing. The jumpers are all okay. I checked them 100 times and had someone else check them as well. I am going to try the CPU now. Thanks for all of your help so far. I'm sure that I'll be back. Stay tuned hehe!!!
E.S.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2002 - 8:52 pm:   

Just a thought but does your power supply have a switch on the back?
Suzanne
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 11:53 am:   

Yup, thought of that. No luck.
E.S.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 1:27 pm:   

Did the CPU swap reveal anything?

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page