Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

ATA66 or ATA100 setup?

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Hard Drive and Storage Related » ATA66 or ATA100 setup? « Previous Next »

Bill Schweiger
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 9:38 am:   

I have a Gigabyte Ga-7dx Mobo that supports ATA 100 and a maxtor 20 gb harddrive thats ATA 100.
How do I know if its set at ata66 or ata 100, does the Bios need setup to use the ata100 ? If so what would it be under in the BIOS? My O/S is windows 98 se the bios is Awards V6.00pg.
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 11:42 am:   

If the HDD is ATA100 than the chipset should default to ATA100. If you are not sure, when the comp is turned on and the hdd is detected, ATA status is usually displayed at the boot screen as UDMA(X)where (X) denotes the transfer mode of 2(33),3(n/A),4(66),5(100) and so on. Make sure you use an ATA 66/100 cable. In your particular case, the southbridge is VIA 686B which handles IDE functions, so you may want to look into more of the VIA686B functions and drivers for optimal performance, for your own ref. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/support/d_dk7.htm#link7dx
Bill
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 9:53 am:   

I will make sure I have the ATA/66/100 cable Thanks for your help

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page