Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

AAAAthlon...PC Graphics Computer...Wh...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » ...All the Rest » AAAAthlon...PC Graphics Computer...What's the best for $$? « Previous Next »

Graphix Guy
Posted on Sunday, March 3, 2002 - 12:28 pm:   

I wan't to buy or have a computer built
to run graphics programs efficiently.
What's the best. I know PC's not MACs.
I use Corel Draw. What's better..Athlon or Pent.IV?
how much ram should I get?
What's the best printer with least ink cost?
What's the best scanner at a reasonable price?
What motherboard works best?

and finally, has anyone seen the AS SEEN ON TV infomercial on the Atlhon xp/windows xp system?
are these guys for real? reliable?

thanks for good honest imput!
E.S.
Posted on Sunday, March 3, 2002 - 1:21 pm:   

For Professional Graphics and design I would go toward a P4 and at least 512 MEG DDR Memory, the Athlon is more than capable of handling imaging but the P4 systems I've used in the past with Dual Head video configurations seem to draw quicker to screen. As far as Printers and scanners go, use your own judgement on the features you are looking for as a comparably priced Lexmark high end printer may save you a few dollars on the initial cost but end up costing more for printer cartridges in the end.
Some would differ on Scanners but I prefer a good SCSI scanner over USB or Parallel Interface
just for the onboard processor not using CPU cycles that would be better left to do something else. As always it is far better to shop around and purchase what you want and build it yourself or have it built as opposed to buying anything prebuilt like the "As Seen on T.V." as many of them are all in one highly integrated systems and not upgrade friendly. Another issue with the Infomercial is who's responsible for service if something were to go wrong?
Graphics Guy
Posted on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 4:47 pm:   

E.S.
thanks!
a few more quest.
are you a graphic designer?
do you know corel draw?
is there a web design shareware software?
thanks again!
E.S.
Posted on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 7:10 pm:   

I use CAD Pro and a program called ORCAD for designing electronic circuits. I never really got into design as far as the web is concerned but I do know there are alot of free to try buy it if you like it type programs available through ZDnet hotfiles and such.
Graphics Guy
Posted on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   

Thanks again E.S.
God Bless You!

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page