Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Powers on, Fans continuous, kb lights...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Dead, Dying or Booting Problems » Powers on, Fans continuous, kb lights..then zip « Previous Next »

krystal miguel
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 2:40 pm:   

I had a working pc (750athlon cpu) came home one day and the kids said it died in the middle of them playing some game. They did the standard reboot type tests.

When I tried to power it up the fan cpu and power supply fans come on. the keyboard lights initially, the monitor blinks..(its sounds like its coming on then just goes into standby mode or soft power off)you can turn the comp on with the power switch but must turn it off from the rear switch or by removing the power cable.

So i thought oh well they did something and just went and bought an entirely new system. am33 ec/el board 128 ram onboard everything(video sound lan) new everything. installed it all and what is happening. same thing powers on but not off. continuous fan activity power led and memory led lights are lit on the board.
I got it to give me continuous long beep post errors reseated the memory and now no beeps but still won't kick the monitor in. still seems to freeze in the on position. the cpu i bought is athlon 1 g. what else can i say?? hmm the cd powers on the hd is spinning. i can hear it. ( i disconnected the fan a couple of seconds to listen for any other sounds. the rear is set to 110 v as it is a normal househould wall socket.

I tested both faulty systems old and new on the working system in the same room and still no juice.
Where do i go from here? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
krystal miguel
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 3:18 pm:   

ok so in frustration i disassembled the board...no patience i just posted and decided start over rebuild........

just thought i'd update though because i got a response from the system. Turns out a jumper had fallen off the new board which designates pc 100 or pc 133. i replaced the jumper (with the many spares i had laying around i have no idea where the orignial one could have gone) and viola. system worked.

which leads me to believe the girls must have somehow dislodged the memory or in some other way injured it. i am however surprised there were no post beeps.

hope this info helps someone else. if your mem is 100 then the board must be set to 100 and if 133 then 133. i knew that but never thought to check since it was a new board.

blessed be
Jason
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 10:37 pm:   

Hey K.M., I posted in the CDROM section on this but seems a lot similar to your irritating problem. In my situation, I was installing CDROM and when done I get power on, must use I/O in back to turn off, no beeps or normal boot procedure and no monitor green light (stays amber). All my RAM is clips up locked but I haven't reseated it all since I am on baby watch right now. So a jumper on your MB did it? Hmm
Commiseratively, JT

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page