Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mid-POST abrupt stop

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Dead, Dying or Booting Problems » Mid-POST abrupt stop « Previous Next »

ignatzmarblefinger
Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 12:09 am:   

In a misguided attempt to provide my GF with a better machine than her old Pentium 233, I've put together a new computer with a new Western Digital Caviar 20 G hard drive, new case & monitor, and 1.0 Duron, also new. The first mobo I tried had a SiS 735 chipset but it was DOA so I returned it and got an Azza KT3-AV with the KT133a chipset. I'm reusing the PC133 RAM from her old system. When I turn the machine on, nothing at all appears on the monitor and I don't get a beep at all... But I can hear it start to run through the POST (that tiny teletype sound), then it just suddently stops dead. When I replace the CPU with a 1.2 Athlon, it does the exact same thing but shuts the power off when it stops dead. The Duron doesn't cause the power to shut off, it just sits there. I've triple checked everything and tried it with both an 8 meg Riva 128ZX video card and a 32 meg ATI Rage Fury. The monitor is definitely good and I've tried these same components in 2 other cases as well; all 3 power supplies are known to be good. I've tried clearing the CMOS according to the manual but this has no effect. The Azza website is essentially useless. The Nvidia video card is known to be good (the ATI is only assumed good). I've tried installing the RAM in different slots with no result. Does anyone have any ideas, or have I just thrown away a bunch of my money & time?
ignatzmarblefinger
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 11:35 pm:   

OK, I gave up & took it to the shop... they tell me that the CPU is faulty & the Azza mobo runs just fine with a Duron 1.2! Guess that means my Athlon processor is doing donuts in the parking lot, too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page