Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Why does my PIII works stable on W98 ...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Motherboard / CPU Related » Why does my PIII works stable on W98 and becomes unstable under WXP? « Previous Next »

andres
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 11:12 pm:   

I have a Slot1 PIII 500 processor wich worked well for years. I never overclocked, it and suddenly, after upgradind to Windows XP my computer started to become unstable and to reboot itself. sometimes it doesn't even reboot but keeps trying to, let's say for 10 minutes and then it boots but crashes when trying to stars XP. I'm sure it's CPU related since i tried one just like mine and it works fine. Then when i "downgrade" to 98se everything is OK, but sometimes it crashes running DOS!! (e.g. DOS Games, Apps from within windows)
win
Posted on Tuesday, September 3, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   

it may not be (just) your cpu. it may just be a piece of hardware that isn't compatible with XP. you'd have to see if there are new drivers for all your hardware, as well as check the web sites of the manufacturers to see if all (or one) piece is even supported by XP, microsofts's too. oh, if this is an upgrade, from something like 98, then you'd need to check the programs installed, they may be the problem.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page