Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Need help in choosing RAM

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Memory Related » Need help in choosing RAM « Previous Next »

zethz
Posted on Sunday, November 3, 2002 - 4:19 pm:   

I would like to upgrade the RAM before installing a larger(40 GB)harddrive in my older re-built PC.
It is a AMD K6-2 w/3D processor...266mhz with 64MB of RAM.I ran the Belarc Advisor and here are the specs on the motherboard
>Shuttle VIA Apollo
MVP3(Hot-591P) 2A5LEH2A
Slot 0>empty
Slot 1>empty
Slot 3>32MB
Slot 4>32MB
maximum memorie is 256MB
Iam considering ordering from Cruical.com.Both the 64MB and the 128MB sticks are in the $20.00 range.Am I better off getting the 128MB for slot 1?Also,considering my system,should i use the PC133 or the PC100 sticks.
Iam not a heavy graphics or game user and use my computer primarily for internet usage.Iam also relatively new to"pulling the cover off" so your insight will be greatly appreciated.Thanxz in advance.
Cecil
Posted on Sunday, November 3, 2002 - 9:40 pm:   

I would suggest leaving in the two you have and adding at least another 64meg, but more is better. I would get one stick. Pc133 and pc100 will work together, more than likely what you have is pc100.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page