Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Constant dropping of ISP connection

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Networking, Modems and Connectivity » Constant dropping of ISP connection « Previous Next »

Adam Low
Posted on Friday, December 6, 2002 - 8:45 pm:   

I have been working with a friend on fixing up a computer for his two daughters. It is an old computer, with Amptron PM8600 board (Can't tell if it is A, B, or C), 233MHz, and 32MB of SIMM.

We have the modem on the computer, and it is running. The strangest thing, however, is that he would have no problem using it for email (send and receive thereof) using Outlook Express, but as soon as he goes on the browser, it will probably drop his connection before the page is fully loaded. We have tried switching around the com ports, resources, drivers, and so on.

The question here, therefor, is:

Could there be any other reasons, other than the modem being bad, that could be attributing to this syndrom?

Thanks.

PS: I have actually logged on and surfed the web for a while when the computer is "logging in" to the ISP. But as soon as the connection is affirmed and the icon show up in the systray, it will do the same thing again.
Adam
Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2002 - 2:09 pm:   

Solved the problem by going with another modem. Chances are, it is a wrong driver, or a bad modem. Will test it out again and post the findings here.

Thanks
dennis
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 8:50 pm:   

I am almost certain that the driver for the modem is outdated.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page