Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dreadful "Glitch": Experienced Comput...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Video Related Problems » Dreadful "Glitch": Experienced Computer freak out of answers ;( « Previous Next »

Tristan
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 7:24 am:   

Hey
i've been building computers for some time now, and my recent rig is fast, but.... it has one huge problem. First off, here my specs:
AMD Athlon xp2000+, abit siluro geforce4 ti4200 w/ OTES 64 mb, 4x agp(stock o/c to 275/550), asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard, 512 mb 2700 ddr, 15 gb/45 gb drives, sony cdrw.
The motherboard has an 8x agp slot, but my 4x agp card still fits into it and works. I set the bios settings to 4x agp speed. (just background info)

Here's the problem. Sometimes, when i'm in internet explorer, just looking at stuff, this weird screen appears. There's a million little squares with all kinds of colors. I can still make out what is behind this "glitch" (what i had looked at before), but the computer freazes in this screen and i have to restart manually. It's like my current screen just goes to 256 colors into tiny little squares and everything freazes.
This problem has occured since i've built the computer, and its really annoying me. At first i thought it was a power problem (that my video card isnt getting enough power), so i bought a 420 watt Thermaltake powersupply, but that didn't help.
Now i'm thinkin it might be the hardrives, since they're a little old. But what would also make sense is the interaction between my 4x agp card and the 8x agp slot...? Could it be the ram?

Please, i'm out of answers, help!

Tristan
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 7:38 pm:   

You forgot to include the Operating system in your spec's as well as driver versions you use. There seems to be alot of BIOS updates for the different versions of that board, most of which seem to deal with stability and memory issues. It wouldn't hurt to check what revision board and memory brand you are using.
Matt (Matt12330)
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 1:40 pm:   

I would suspect a video driver problem.

See www.nvidia.com for updated versions

I would recommend using an older version of the driver - as the current WHQL version is designed around the GeForce FX GPU.
The 4X/8X issue shouldn't be a problem.
Make sure you have the AGP 8X "enabled" - it won't hurt your GPU.
Tristan
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 6:54 am:   

I'm running win2000 professional and the standard abit siluro driver from the cd from the card.
Should i rather download a new driver from abit.com.tw or nvidia.com?

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page