Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Can't boot w/ slave drive connected

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Hard Drive and Storage Related » Can't boot w/ slave drive connected « Previous Next »

Greg Duffield
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 3:11 pm:   

I am currently trying to recover some data off of a 2.5 laptop drive that stopped booting. I have the 2.5-to-3.5 adaptor so that I can connect it to my desktop, but whenever I connect the drive the computer hangs right at the Windows XP screen. Everything seems to go along fine and then it sounds like it accesses the laptop drive when XP is booting and the whole system freezes.

The drive is recognized by the bios at boot up correctly, and I had it jumpered as a slave. I also tried to connect it on it's own on IDE-2 with it jumpered as a master, but it still would not let the computer boot. I finally just connected it to a PCI IDE controller card, just to see what would happen and it still tries to access the drive at boot up.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent the system from trying to access the laptop drive during the OS boot? I am stuck not being able to get into the OS, because I am not able to run the data recovery software. I never had a problem like this before when recovering data on other drives, and just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks,

Greg Duffield
Ken L
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 4:30 pm:   

Unplug cdrom drive run lap drive as secondary master, do auto detect HDD in setup see if this helps?? if so reconnect cdrom as sec slave,, Ive ran into some weird krap like this as well. Ken
Ken L
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   

Whoops.. does it spin or freeze when the drive is trying to be accessed?? <just> if not your Lappy might be drawing your system resources to the point of hanging.. <freezing>. if this is the case trash it or it will trash your board. Ken

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page