Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

No Sound - desperate for some help

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Audio and Input Devices (mouse, keyboard, joystick, etc.) » No Sound - desperate for some help « Previous Next »

kaipolani
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 5:08 pm:   

I desperately need someone's help. PLEASE
My sound was working just fine, then one day I noticed it didn't work anymore. I have searched thru many forums trying to find a way to resolve this issue, but nothing has seemed to work.
Here's a little background:
I have a Compaq Presario running Windows 98
When I check the properties on MyComputer under Device Manager it has yellow circles with exclamation marks next to ESS AllegroPCI Audio(WDM), Logitech QuickCam, and Gameport Joystick. I don't use the Logitech Cam & I don't have a joystick, so I don't care too much about those not working....I'd just like some sound. :-(
Using the Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment, I can click on Volume Control, but nothing happens - no volume window opens (it used to). Also, in my Control Panel there is no longer a Sound icon.

PS - I have double-checked to ensure all cables are plugged in and are in the correct places. The only sound I ever hear is a beep when the computer is starting up and some feedback static if I use my cell phone too close to the speaker.
E.S.
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 9:26 pm:   

Your sound cards drivers have a conflict with something else or the drivers need to be reloaded. The Gameport Joystick refers to the connection you would plug in a Joystick if you were to use one. When you open the properties for these devices what is the error code?
Daniel Smith
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 3:03 pm:   

I recently moved, and since then, my speakers haven't been working. I've checked the cound settings and what not, and everything seems ok. The speakers were working fine before moving and I know they still are. Any idea what I can do?
Tony
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 8:40 pm:   

When switching over from ME to 2000 my sound went away. In order to restore it I tried downloading new drivers for 2000. After that remedy did not work I bought a new sound card with the app. drivers for 2000. I still could not get any sound. I tried plugging the sound card into another port, still no sound. All cables are in place , sound card is operational, drivers are installed, speakers work.........still no sound. PLEASE HELP.....
E.S.
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 9:33 pm:   

What sound card is it and did you disable/remove the previous soundcard and drivers?
Tony
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 11:30 pm:   

The soundcard was a Cobra AW-840 and no I did not disable the other drivers....please advise
E.S.
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 8:11 pm:   

If the previous sound was of an onboard variety (built in sound on the mainboard) you may have to enter cmos and disable it from there. If there are no options for disabling in cmos you may need the manual to find jumpers on the mainboard to turn it off.
E.S.
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 8:17 pm:   

Cobra 840 is actually the c-media 8738 S-X chip so you might try drivers from http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ when you get the card detected properly.
Tony
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 7:29 pm:   

Card is detected and other devices are disabled. When using the diagnostic tool I receive this message when running a sound test..... Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
E.S.
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 9:00 pm:   

Everything I have read on the error message points to a driver version and directX version conflict. What directX version are you using and which driver is installed for the sound card?
CAJ64
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 6:29 pm:   

HP hard drive died. I bought a new hard drive and Windows XP (full version). Installed, now my sound does not work. I can't find the right drivers. Says SM Bus Controller & Multimedia Audio Controller - Not configured correctly.
Please help.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page