Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Need for speed Underground fries vide...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Video Related Problems » Need for speed Underground fries video card!?!?!?!?! « Previous Next »

cheathawk1
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 8:42 am:   

I've been building and troubleshooting computers for quite a while and I can finally say, I am stumped. Here's the scoop, system specs--

Motherboard: KT333 Soyo Dragon Lite
RAM: 256 mb.
Audio: On board
Video: 128 mb GeForce FX 5200 and 128 mb Radeon 9200 (I'v replaced the GeForce with the Radeon in hopes of fixing my problem, but to no avail)
Drives: DVD-Rom(1); DVD+RW(1)
Floppy: Of course :-)
Monitor: 17" CRT and 17" LCD (again neither worked)

Anyways, here's the problem, I just bought Need For Speed Underground, but when I win an 'Underground' race, ans start to load the congradulatory video (pardon the spelling), my computer freezes up. Now eher's the weird part, when I restrat it, my monitor goes black then I get the "No signal detected" message, and have to turn the power supply off then on again in order for it to work again. Here's what I've done so far, I know it's not the game itself because I've installed it on two other computers besides mine, and it's worked perfectly. I've replaced the video card (as stated above). I've reformatted my computer and updated all the bios and drivers, as well as downloaded the latest version of Direct X 9, (by the way, both my video cards say they're compatible with direct X 9). I looked up the IRQ's to see if anything was conflicting with the video acrd, and my LAN card was, so I uninstalled that, (I've used device managewr and disabled it as well as completley removed it form my computer), and this seeme to work up untill I won the tenth race or so, then it did the same thign as before, froze just before the victory movie. I've used two different monitors, one being a CRT, the other an LCD.

I have no clue what is wrong, if someone could help me I would be eternally greatfull.

Moderator (Es)
Username: Es

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 9:51 pm:   

I doubt the video cards being an issue since it occurs with each of the different video cards. NFS Underground is a very CPU intensive game as well as Video card intensive (I play the game myself). There has been many times where AMD cpu's have locked up at core level during intensive operations (folding at home for instance) and this sure sounds like it could be related in some way. If my memory is correct I believe a patch for the game released some time ago addressed a stability issue on some systems and this may be related as well.
Cheathawk1
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 7:48 am:   

Thanks for your advice, but I already installed the patch, and it still froze at the same spot. So about the AMD CPU's, are you saying I should get a new CPU? Or is there a cheaper way to fix this problem, because I dont really want to spend the money on a new CPU, especially if thats turns out not to be the problem.
Moderator (Es)
Username: Es

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 9:07 am:   

What are your cpu temp's? Do you have good ventilation exhausting the heat from your computer case?

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page