Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Call for Help to ID a motherboard and...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Identifying Hardware » Call for Help to ID a motherboard and get a manual « Previous Next »

Thomas Starich
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 2:56 pm:   

I ran ctbios to get the following information.

Computer ID :PC, Type :AT
BIOS Date :6/21/96
Award BIOS found : Award Modular Bios v4.51PG
Award ID-String :06/21/96-i430VX-2A59Ht5BC-00
Board/BIOS-Version :Release 07/02/1996L
OEM :TYAN
URL :http://www.tyan.com/html/cmos.html
Chipset :i430VX //Intel Natoma

I checked the TYAN site but could not find a mother board that had 4 ISA and 3 PCI slots like mine. I would be very grateful for any help. I have been at this for 2 days and will keep at it an check back for any responce to this message. Please email me if you reply at tomstarich@hotmail.com
Moderator (Es)
Username: Es

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 4:36 pm:   

Titan VX AT S1470S 2A59GT5JC-00 i430VX SMC 665IR
Titan VX-2 AT S1471S i430VX
Titan VX ATX S1472S i430VX
Are the only listings I could find.
You did not mention if the board was AT or ATX.
Moderator (Es)

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 4:42 pm:   

This could be an OEM board manufactured by Tyan for another company. The problem with that is Tyan is not obligated to support it at all and support is left up to the company it was built for.
Thomas Starich
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 5:33 pm:   

I found the same three Titans you did and looked carefully at the pictures of the motherboards. They all seem to have more pci slots than the board I am trying to identify. Mine has three pci slots.

The CT Bios program says its an AT but regretfully i don't know how to tell an AT apart from an ATX or a mini AT.

The reason I am looking so hard is that i installed a Pentium 233 with MMX technology and the board still sees it as a pentium 100 like the chip i pulled out before installing the new cpu.

The good news is it boots up and seems to operate i need to learn about where and what jumpers are and how to set them. A manual would shur help.

Thank you for your kind words and responding to my call for help. I will be back later to check this thread again. Its nice to know there are friends its been a long lonely 2 days effort to try to find a manual.

Also I paid Award for a new bios chip and that will be comming in Monday or Tuesday, mabe after its installed the board will see the full speed of the new cpu.

Thomas Starich
Thomas Starich
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 6:19 pm:   

Well I found it... I actually found my motherboard and the manual!!

It is an Amptron pm-7900

http://web.tiscali.it/acorp/mobo_spec/amptron/pm7900/pm7900.htm

Will take you right to it.

I have to figure out how to set jumpers now so that it takes the pentium 233 socket 7 chip I have installed and runs it faster than 100 MHZ.

It looks like I may need a different voltage regulator but I am not sure if it has the larger voltage regulator or not?

I downloaded the manual and would welcome any help from the audience.

Thanks in advance .... Thomas
Moderator (Es)

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 8:24 pm:   

If the 9700 is indeed the board, what you are looking at is an AT style mainboard, It may support the 233mhz but the multiplier needs to be set to 3.5 x 66 mhz Bus speed and according to the link it only has 3.0 x 66 mhz for 200 mhz Pentium support You may find that this board has an offset that will allow 1.5 x multiplier to represent 3.5 x multiplier. P55 MMX cpu's are dual rail voltage thus the need for the VRM.
Moderator (Es)

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 8:26 pm:   

http://www.amptron.com/html/pm7900.html
Thomas Starich
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 8:27 am:   

I reset two of the jumpers to the following:

JP5 Bus clock selector to 66 Mhz (1-2)
CPU speed selector to 66 Mhz (jmpr 10 short)
(jmpr 11 open)

The CPU voltage is already set to 3.5 volts as pins 1-2 are jumpered, that is weird because 3.5 setting appears to require the Voltage Reulator in the circuit.

The results of these changes were the speed of the cpu jumped from 100 to 166 Mhz but I was getting some blue screens of death when running internet explorer so I put things back for the moment. I have contacted the manufacturer of the board by email to see if they have a Voltage Regulator for me.

I assumed that you read jumpering pins from left to right where the left most pin is the number one pin when the lettering/labeling of the pin is reading and not upside down or sideways.

I had some questions about jumpering because this is my first time and would welcome any help you may have for me.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page