Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

DB9 connector: Which colour wires g...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Networking, Modems and Connectivity » DB9 connector: Which colour wires go to which pin? « Previous Next »

Richard King
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2000 - 5:19 pm:   

Hi,
I'm trying to make an extension cable for an infrared device which has a DB9 (9 pin) connector.
Does anyone know which wires attatch to which pin?
Each time I pull appart a connector to see, I tear away some of the connectors!!
Its additionally confusing because the cable has 10 wires and there are only 9 pin connects.
Any help or emails greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard
Adam Emswiler (Abe)
Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2000 - 6:33 am:   

If the infrared device already has a DB9 connector on it, and you need an extension cable, all you need is a straight thru cable. This means Pin 1 goes to Pin 1, Pin 2 goes to Pin 2, etc... on the cable you are making.

As far as the colors and extra pin, it doesn't matter which wire you have running to pin 1, it just needs to allow the signal to pass through it, and the extra wire can be trimmed off.

If you have a Volt-meter with a continuity check on it (beeps when you touch the two leads together) you should test the cable before plugging it in to your infrared device.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page