Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Older Creative CDROMs compatibility/s...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » CD, CDR, CDRW and DVD Related » Older Creative CDROMs compatibility/sound cards « Previous Next »

Craig
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2000 - 12:04 am:   

After much mucking around with some old Creative CDROMs (CR-523-B and CR-563-B, yes dinosaurs I know), I have come to the conclusion that older Creative CD ROMs only work in conjunction with Creative (PTY.)Sound cards. The CDROMs I have work great with a Sound Blaster 16 sound card (utilising the IDE port on the sound card). I cannot get them to work as a slave to the IDE primary Hdd or as a secondary. Using a fairly new style x44 CDROM, it is recognised like a champion every time using the IDE primary slave or secondary options. So, true or false...'You must have the correct PTY. sound card for older Creative CDROMs'. Any advise much appreciated, regards Craig.
Adam Emswiler (Abe)
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2000 - 7:37 am:   

In my experience, the older Creative Labs cards didn't use a standard IDE connector. Although the sound card had the same number of pins, and you were able to plug in an IDE device, it was actually a proprietary port.

The older CD-Roms usually had a printing on the back of the unit. If above the connectors it stated "IDE" then it should work on any standard IDE port. However, if it has "BUS" above it, the CD-Rom usually was proprietary.
Danny Albers (Danny)
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2000 - 8:46 pm:   

Im with Adam there, thats what I remember too.

Was a common problem as the ports were physically compatible, but not electronically.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page