Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Defeating password on unknown motherb...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Motherboard / CPU Related » Defeating password on unknown motherboard... « Previous Next »

Ralph
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 8:53 am:   

is there any way to defeat a pasword on an unknown motherboard? Its a 486/125, and I just want to set this up for the kids with another HDD, yet it's pasword protected. Any way to jump or short out two pins that would appy to this?
Vera (Vera)
Posted on Friday, December 1, 2000 - 9:03 am:   

hi
i've looked at a couple of manuals for newer motherboards. to reset the password cmos needs to be reset.( best to unplug system) to clear cmos the jumpers need to be moved from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 for 2 seconds and then moved back to pins 1&2(default) which resets cmos. the only thing is the jumper numbers are not the same on all boards.in the manuals i looked at, the jumpers were located in the vicinity of the battery and the processor. these jumpers each had three pins. im not an expert by any means but why couldn't this process be tried on jumpers that might be likely candidates? could it hurt anything since the original pin setting would be restored anyway?
if you can't get any fcc #code or other info off the board to do a search than maybe this will help you
good luck
Adam Emswiler (Abe)
Posted on Friday, December 1, 2000 - 9:18 am:   

Can you boot at all?? Even to a floppy? If so, you can run a debug routine that will invalidate the CMOS, thus removing the password.
dannyalbers
Posted on Friday, December 1, 2000 - 4:33 pm:   

Some older mother boards with an award bios use

"AWARD_SW" as a master password. You can try that. Make sure u use all caps.

You can also try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so. This works in rare occasions.

Short of that, without some clue as to brand or model number, I cant help alot.
Adam Emswiler (Abe)
Posted on Friday, December 1, 2000 - 8:22 pm:   

This is one of my favorite sites when I have to work on a system with a BIOS password:
http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html
Ralph
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2000 - 4:10 pm:   

Thanks. all you guys, the fav site with the AWARD bios pass worked great, second generic password and BOOM, I'm in....THANKS a ZILLION!!!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page