Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Physical and logical removal of modem...

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Hardware » Networking, Modems and Connectivity » Physical and logical removal of modem results in W95 not loading!? « Previous Next »

jpivonka
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 1:28 am:   

Preparing to upgrade from a USR 36 to a Creative 56k modem I removed the USR card from the riser card in this Packard Bell Legend 822 machine. On reboot, after the removal, W95 froze before finishing loading. Then "Safe mode" loaded properly, and permitted me to "remove" the modem logically. But W95 still would not load. Safe mode loaded, and permitted exhausting, if not exhaustive diagnostics, none of which resulted in a good boot to W95. (Approx. 10 cycles.)

I then physically re-installed the USR modem and got a good boot to W95! W95 then found and logically reinstalled the USR modem, permitting access to this discussion. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can appease this machine, get it to permit me to remove the USR 36k and install the Creative 56k?
unitron
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 11:31 pm:   

Try this. Go into Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and remove the modem "logically". Then back out and shut down the computer. Then open it up and physically remove the modem. Then start the computer again. If it boots up and loads Win95 successfully, shut it back down, open it back up and physically install the new modem. Start it back up and install the modem driver.
Please note that this assumes that Packard Bell didn't do something proprietary on this model that involves a "customized" version of 95 that expects that particular modem.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page