Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Windows 98se to Windows ME ?

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Software » Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and ME » Windows 98se to Windows ME ? « Previous Next »

Bill
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 10:55 am:   

I have windows 98se installed now, can I install windows ME full version without losing any of the programs I have installed on 98? or do I have to start new with a blank harddrive ?
E.S.
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 11:20 am:   

Usually, a clean install is preferred over trying an upgrade with WinMe full version. However it has been done with some success by renaming the Win98 win.com file to wincom.old and installing WinMe (which will install a newer version of win.com)into the original windows folder. I don't recommend it if your WinMe cdrom isn't bootable or didn't come with a WinMe startup floppy.
Matt Weston (Matt12330)
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 6:18 pm:   

From what I've seen, Win ME is NOT bootable.
The only way I've been able to install is with a Win 98 boot floppy.......unless Microsoft decided to make some changes after I got my ME CD.
E.S.
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 8:21 pm:   

Yup, the WinMe upgrade CD's are never bootable from what I have seen, never tried a full version as of yet.
E.S.
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 8:25 pm:   

On second thought a Win98 boot floppy should work just to get the cdrom driver installed and functional with the Start Computer with CDrom Support selection.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page