Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

My W2k System Is Crapping out?

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Software » Windows NT, 2000 and XP » My W2k System Is Crapping out? « Previous Next »

Jerold
Posted on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 6:14 am:   

I booted up this morning and all of a sudden I am getting all kinds of error messages and programs are crapping out.

The 1st message comes up on bootup:

dpps2.exe - application error
the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) click on OK to terminate the application.

The 2nd instance is when I try to empty the recycle bin:

Recycle bin on ALL drives are invalid or Corrupt. Do you want to empty the contrents now?

The 3rd, tried to access event viewer and this came up:

Sanp-in failed to initialize
Name: Event Viewer
CLSID {975797FC-4E2A-11D0-B702-00C04FD8DBF7}

Last instance, I tried to change the properties for a file from Hidden to Not-Hidden and I got and Explorer.exe has generated errors in windows and will be closed. restart may be necessary.
THen the screen goes blank and half the icons in the system tray disappears.

BTW, My network for this machine only is down and I have NO internet acces, but other PC's work fine.

The only thing that I can guess is that something is wrong with my registry. Don't have any backups that are recent and anyway any regedit that I ever tried to restore LAWAYS gave me an error and would not restore the backup???!!!:(:(.

The only option that I have unless someone has a fix for me is to reinstall my ENTIRE system.

Luckily my CD-RW works and I am backing up my files now. I will check soon to see any suggestions before I re-install W2K

BTW, Again. A few weeks ago I did a Microsoft Products Update on this PC, but everything worked fine until this morning.
THanks,
JErold
Jerold
Posted on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 10:06 am:   

I went ahead and re-installed W2K as an Upgrade and it kept my settings and programs.

I thin it had somethjing to do with mu DVD-Rom drive since I had to use my CD-RW drive to install W2K. After it finished, the DVD seems to be working ok or now.

I am still wondering if there is a prblem with my IE6. All other computers in the office loads the pages normally, but this PC stalls just as the progress bar hits around 99% done. Then it "catches" itself and works kinda normal within a site and stalls again at new sites.

Any ideas?

Thanks
E.S.
Posted on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 12:10 pm:   

You never said what hardware you are using like motherboard or anything else, as Win2k is detecting corrupted files, well, I would start looking at what your HDD controllers are doing to the data over time. Are you on high speed internet? Do you use a firewall? Is your Antivirus .dat files up to date? These all should be checked as well.
Jerold
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 6:05 am:   

Thanks For the Reply.

I went ahead and reinstalled and ran ALL of the Windows Updates for W2K and Office2000 SBE and IE6 gave me a message saying that it got an error and that I can click on a button and the error will be sent to microsoft for analysis. I upgraded to IE6 and SP2 because it has been out for a while already and I figure thaat most bugs have been sorted out by now. Should I uninstall it and go back to IE5.5? Or install Netscape and use that as my browser?

The other thing that is worrisome is my CD drives. the top is a DVD-Rom and the other is a CD-RW. I use Adaptec EasyCD and DirectCD and upgraded it when I reinstalled it. Now I am having problems reading some of the CD-R's that I burned with my backup system files. Either the title of the CD doesn't show up on either or they just can't be accessed via Explorer. I have to reboot the machine to "reset" it. Is this a problem with either the cd-drives?...cables on the drives?...or a CD-RW software issue? I did notice before eveything went to crap that out of the blue the system popped up a message indicating that it "unplugged/ejected" the DVD-Rom drive..?..then I started having issues with the CD's not reading.

I am running a 2 year old DELL Dimension 4100 1ghz machine that has run without ANY problems until now.

THanks,
JErold
E.S.
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 1:31 pm:   

Could very well be just a software issue with EZCD and DirectCD, sometimes the inevitable happens and an FDISK/Format and reinstall is in order, I just reinstalled 2Kpro myself as it was becomeing boggish and took forever to boot.
Jerold
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 5:28 am:   

I looked my Dell Reinstall research notes that I kept from my first reinstall (I strip all the factory junk from my new PC's and reinstall a fresh CLEAN OS) and installed an INTEL Ultra ATA controller Storage device driver. So far the only thing that changed was that my CD drives in device manager are now listed as SCSI cd-rom drives and but I don't have any SCSI cards installed. The CD's seem to be running ok for now. I am gonna run it thru its paces to see if anything pops up.

Thanks.
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 7:12 am:   

As far as I know all ATA off board controllers show up as SCSI, probably due to the BIOS on the card itself and the way the handler works. Since it is a Dell package you might look into Dell support for a bios update. It wouldn't hurt.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page