Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Slow typing response

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Software » Windows NT, 2000 and XP » Slow typing response « Previous Next »

A. Abo
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 2:35 am:   

Whenever I type anything into Word or Excel it takes several seconds of delay before the characters appear on the screen. I am running under Win XP. I ran a virus scan. None were found. I reinstalled Win XP and Office XP but the problem is still there. I notice that there is unusual intermittent hard disk activity even when I am not doing any thing. My machine (P4, 1.5GH, 40GB HD, 256MB) was ok before. Could anyone please help?
Kevin
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 3:46 am:   

Sounds like something is running in the background slowing the computer down. I would download startup cop http://download.com.com/3000-2344-5943130.html?legacy=cnet and look at what is starting with windows.

Also some versions of office have find fast (it is poison) if yours does then do as quoted below.
"If you're installed Office 95 or Office 97 on your PC, chances are you've got one of the world's best examples of bad programming running on your computer all the time.
It's called Microsoft Find Fast. It saps your computer's energy, slowing everything down. It also creates huge index files that are all but useless. And it does all this without getting your permission.
Take this monstrosity off your PC by following the instructions in the next paragraph. I'll tell you how to do it in both Windows 95 and Windows 98.
In Windows 95, right click on the Start button, choose Open, double click Programs, then double click Startup. If you see "Microsoft Find Fast" or "Find Fast," drag it to the Recycle Bin. Under Windows 98, click Start, navigate to Programs, then to Startup, and right click on the "Microsoft Find Fast" or "Find Fast" entry and choose Delete.
Find Fast is an indexer. It sleeps much of the time, waking up now and then to spy on all your Office 95 or Office 97 documents. It does that by automatically stepping through every byte of every document created by Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and the other Office-suite programs. According to Microsoft, this lets you find parts of those documents in a hurry.
That would be a fine idea -- if it worked. But it doesn't. First, Find Fast is misnamed. It should be called "Find Slow," because it's abysmally sluggish. Second, Find Fast won't let you find anything, fast or slow, unless you get to it by the strangest route imaginable. You don't click on the Find Fast program icon to find something, nor do you even click on the Find Fast Control Panel icon to find something. Instead, you have to use either of these incongruous methods:"

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page