Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Can't Open Picture Files

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Software » Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and ME » Can't Open Picture Files « Previous Next »

fone
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 8:16 pm:   

Everytime I double-click to open a picture file, I would get a window saying I am trying to download a file and has 2 options - either save the file or open it. Now, everytime I try to open a picture file by clicking on it, a window automatically keeps opening and closing with the title "File Download". I am able to view the pictures in a picture program such as ACDSEE, but I cannot view it just by double-clicking on it anymore. I am using Windows 98.
Cecil
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:53 pm:   

Picture files like many other files have a program associated to them. So when you double click on a file the associated program shows the file. It your case it sounds like something changed that association.
Go to the start menu and click on help. When the help screen comes up click on the index tab. In the TYPE IN THE KEYWORD TO FIND window type: associating file types with programs.
This will explain how to associate any program you may have for displaying pictures.
Cecil
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 11:08 pm:   

Sorry I left out a couple of steps. Once you have typed, associating file types with programs, the window below will show the same line. Just highlight it and click on the display button at the bottom of the window. When the next window appears highlight, to change which program starts when you open a file, again click on the display button at the bottom of the window.
fone
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 12:39 am:   

Thank you for the comment Cecil! I know I can pick which application opens the pictures, but before I used Explorer to open them. That is what application it is set to use right now. I could change the application to ACDSEE, but I don't understand why it can't open with Explorer anymore. I was afraid I had a virus but I scanned my computer and nothing came up. Thank you though!
Cecil
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 8:45 am:   

Even though its set for iexplorer, you may need to reset it. I have a picture program assciated with jpgs yet windows tells me jpgs are associated with iexplorer.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page