Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Stuck in DSL heck

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Software » Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and ME » Stuck in DSL heck « Previous Next »

Ann Stratton
Posted on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 10:01 am:   

Hello All,
My friend recently developed a problem with her computer after installing a new NIC card and DSL service. I am hoping that you can help me figure out where to begin to help her. Here's the deal:

She has a Toshiba computer from PeoplePC, running WIndows 98. She decided to switch to DSL service and then installed a new NIC card and had the service hooked up. It didn't work properly out of the box, so the DSL technicians had her change a lot of settings (all done over the phone). Right after that, her computer started to reboot everytime she attempted to connect to the internet. That is, it would reboot and then connect. This went on for a week or so, but now the computer will only start in SAFE mode. I tried using F8 and stepping it through the start up, but no luck there.

I feel that something the DSL guys told her to do has caused the problem (possibly corrupted the registry), but they maintain that there is "No way" and are telling her that this is a hardware problem. Also, she ran the DSL for about a week without a firewall, so we cannot rule out some big, bad virus either.

Suggestions on where to start? Options include re-installing Windows of course, and trying to undo the changes the DSL guys did or searching for a hardward problem (maybe).

Thanks for any suggestions
Ann Stratton
Posted on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 10:16 am:   

Here's some more info on this problem. Right after the changes were made, the computer would boot up normally and would go to Internet Explorer. It would stay on for a few minutes and then re-boot. This happened every time, you tried to get on the Internet. Could this be something as stupid as a bad processor fan?!
win
Posted on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 1:32 pm:   

ok, what all hardware do you have installed? models and such. yes, it could be hardware, but software related to it. possible they didn't give the proper settings, also, have you updated all the software before doing so. what service provider? i assume they told you to manually change settings such as ip address or gateway.....

is directx updated?

i'd reinstall from scratch, just the vid card first then add the other cards. once you have all pieces of hardware installed and working, then try to install whatever program you got from them to connect to their service thru the dsl modem. most likely, it's their software and drivers if it's enternet 300, on PPPOE,it would not surprise me. i switched to a router because that is a mac ported to a pc program, and not very well. not had any problems since.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page