Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

UDP Traffic kills Windows 2000

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Software » Windows NT, 2000 and XP » UDP Traffic kills Windows 2000 « Previous Next »

Myname
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   

I have sort of a weird problem... recently my Windows started behaving very strangely... after a few minutes of being online, svchost.exe would crash, and then copy and paste operations no longer worked, right clicking on properties boxes did nothing, trying to open links in a new window didn't work... I had no idea what it meant, so I re-installed Windows, but the problem came right back within hours.

Through trial and error, I discovered that svchost would only crash when UDP traffic was sent to ports 137 or 139 -- ports used for messenger -- and that the crashes would occur whether or not windows messenger was even running. Now the only way I can keep my computer running is to have my firewall block those ports.

My questions are, why would UDP cause these kind of errors, is this a bug in Windows or what? Also, is there any recourse against the people who keep doing this? It appears to be the same set of IP addresses sending the traffic every few minutes.
E.S.
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 7:51 am:   

Viri/Worm activity causes it. Patch your system.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page