Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Not Enough Memory to open

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Software » Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and ME » Not Enough Memory to open « Previous Next »

Dwight
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2000 - 11:03 am:   

O.S. Win98. 128MB RAM- recent upgrade. Approx. 12-17 startups in MS config. After 20 minutes - Low Resources starts. If IE5 performs an illegal op..system tray is reduced to 2 items. I beleive U R going to suggest - less startups. I don't see an preformance increase from 64MB. A sample of startups. Paltalk, Y-messenger,netzero,getright,gator,corral suite,netsonic,attune(a sys.monitor app), media rack,IE5,Outlook. I thought that perhaps IE5 was corrupt- downloaded IE5.1. Any suggestions- do I need 256MB to runs this. This Dell at work runs alot of programs at start and it's only 64MB. I'm using HP pavilian 466mhz
win
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2000 - 5:09 pm:   

there is a difference between conventional memory and your ram. conventional is 640kb. that's all you have to start. you have to have less startups to get some of it back. your resources are too thin, probably. something that might help also if you're getting error messages is to use protected mode drivers which would eliminate the need for the autoexec.bat from being used for real mode drivers (if you have real mode drivers in there).

if you're getting (stack)page fault errors, just go into the system.ini file and add the following line in 2 or 4 increments under [386Enh]; MinSPs=x; where x is a number such as 4 or 6. the default i believe is 4. but it can be greater.

i had to increase mine to 8, but then had to increase it to 12 for more reliability.
Danny Albersr
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2000 - 6:14 pm:   

how much free hard drive space do you have?

And, do you have windows automatically choosing swap file size?

Low hard drive size or to small a swap can cause a low resource notification.

As well, if one of your startup programs is older, and written in C, it may have a memory leak. This is where the program uses memory and "forgets" to return it to the O/S for use. When it processes the same function again, it grabs new memory instead of using the memory it grabbed earlier. This will cause low memory resources eventually with any amount of ram.

Try disabling the startups one by one to see if you can isolate a bad program.

Good luck.
graham.yeardley
Posted on Monday, May 1, 2000 - 3:53 pm:   

Have you tried start-cop a proggy that allows you to turn on/off what gets loaded at the start. I used it it get rid of two really annoying splash screens. You could then selectively disable start up programs one at a time to see if one has an affect.
Danny Albers
Posted on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 8:58 am:   

You may also try two things:

reinstall IE5 as you should with any software that gives you illegal operations,

and

run MSINFO32 from the START>RUN, and run system file checker to search for corrupt DLL's,etc...
Trish
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2000 - 1:14 pm:   

Just curiosity...but how many of those startup programs do you really need immediately, that you need them loaded into memory? EG. doesn't Win98 basically do what Gator does? Not sure, but isn't Corral Suite do the same as Outlook? etc. I'm not picking on you, but just really curious since I resemble a compulsive fanatic that can't stand the thought of anything other than my AV and BlackIce loading with the system and sitting on my taskbar. Sure, more do end up getting loaded, but as I need them. Then again, though...I am the queen of at least 20 windows open at a time...

Hope you know I'm not harassing you, but you just may be amazed at the ripping machine you got without a few ;-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page