Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Not detecting one hard drive

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Software » All Other Software » Not detecting one hard drive « Previous Next »

Dr RK Singh
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2000 - 9:53 am:   

I have intel pentium III 450 128 MB RAM 8.4 GB hard disk with three drives suddenly computer has stopped detecting my E drive my CD Rom drive letter is still F Ndd and Scandisk have not helped. Please suggest a solution
Steve
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2000 - 6:15 pm:   

Assuming that your "physical" C: and D: drives are on cable IDE1; you must have your hard drive with IDE2 cable. Remember both the cdrom and the 3rd hard drve have to jumpered as master and slave. If you have done this, find where the jumper to clear the NVRAM is on your motherboard and clear the BIOS info. Read your owners manual or get with your PC manufacturer to learn where the jumper is if you cannot find it.
Danny Albers (Danny)
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2000 - 8:49 pm:   

You dont really have to clear the cmos, if it doesnt detect with the hdd or IDE auto detect in the bios, then you have either the wrong jumper settings, a loose or bad IDE cable, or a dud drive.

However, if it shows in the CMOS but not in windows, the drive is not low level formatted, which is done using FDISK to partition it, once it has a partition type Windows can recognize, Windows will find it and allow you to format by right clicking on the drive letter.

Clearing the cmos with the jumper will not necessarily help and could cause you trouble with pnp devices and clear settings preset to optimize your computer. It is just not necessary in my opinion.
Tina Quah
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 11:36 am:   

I am using Windows ME. I double click on the software application StudioDC10Plus and received this error message - This capture hardware is not enabled to run the Studio Editing application. Please reinstall the StudioDC10Plus software from the CD-Rom.
I reinstalled the software and rebooted the computer. An error message appeared on my desktop - Unable to open driver capcdc.drv.
I tried to open the StudioDC10Plus application again but received the same error message and I have also tried a few times to reinstall the application but got the same error messages. Please help me understand the problem and what I can do to fix it.
Also prior to this problem, I have not used the application for about 6 months. 3 months ago, I moved location and had to have the computer packed and shipped out to my new home. Also, a friend had used my PC recently and had downloaded games, music on my desktop and also a dial in to a site in the dial up networking window. I deleted the files on these. Thanks
E.S.
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 1:03 pm:   

This really belongs in a new thread, but here goes....
Since the computer was packed up and moved you should check to see if your capture device (card in the slot if applicable) is still seated properly. The error is not pointing to the software directly but is trying to tell you that some piece of hardware is not functioning properly and can not be accessed.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page