Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Clueless parents need help w/ basics

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » Everything Else...Otherwise Classified... » Clueless parents need help w/ basics « Previous Next »

tina
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 10:52 pm:   

New here, hope someone can help me. Just got my parents an imac, mainly for email and internet. They are totally clueless beginners - afraid if they touch it wrong it will blow up. Is there anything out there like a follow-along tutorial, a "for dummies" type thing that they could practice with and learn from? (Like the tutorial that comes with it, but covering more of the basics.) It is too confusing for them to have me just tell them stuff and I think they would be overwhelmed by a class, would rather learn at home. Maybe a "learn computer basics" software? Any advice appreciated, have not been able to find anything to help them so far.
MadMcLean
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 3:55 pm:   

Hi Tina - I think I know just where you're coming from...

I've been tutoring my mother since Christmas and at times it's so frustrating. I've also taught a friend (from the same beginning point).

I have a couple of hints to offer you, which are totally overlooked by 99% of tutorials.

i) Make sure your parents can use the mouse (sounds obvious I know) but this has been a Major issue with both of my "students". Almost all 'step-by-step' tutorials give instructions like "Click on ..." but fail to specify Left or Right mouse button; & Single or Double-Click.

ii) If you are able to, install some sort of Doctor or Guardian type software. This Should give them more confidence to play around.

My Mum has Norton System Doctor and has been able to restore back-ups when prompted (although a boot disk was too advanced).

I think one other point which I found cut down on problems, was to set Windows NOT to show System /Hidden files and yes to show Tool-Tips.

I hope that's helped a bit...

MadMcLean
United Kingdom
win
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 5:57 pm:   

the windows book for dummies is an excellent book for begginers, it is written to let the lay person understand it well. good luck.
Mr. Mville
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 12:51 pm:   

I agree with MadMcLean, mouse play is the most overlooked aspect for beginners. Solitair is a great learning tool for this. And Adaptec's GoBack is just way cool! (you can download the trial edition for free and it will uninstall itself in 30 days)
Joseph Campbell
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 4:08 pm:   

The best way to learn to use a computer is to first get the person to realize that the computer is only an electonic machine. Just like the microwave, dishwasher, dryer, washer machine. Then realize that the computer will not do anything until you tell it to. The third but not last thing to learn is the undo command. Most application have a undo button. Once a person gets use to using the undo button than they will be more comfortable with using the computer without worrying about making a mistake.
phrounds
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 10:53 pm:   

Hi!

Apple.com has a manuals section which might be helpful. Requires Adobe Acrobat.

Using iMac
(After you've set up your iMac and followed the onscreen guide to register your computer and set up an Internet account and e-mail address, what's next? Read this booklet to learn more about using your iMac.)

Here's how to get there:

1. http://www.apple.com
2. Click on the Support tab
3. Click on the Manuals link
4. Enter "imac" as the Search String
5. Click on Search
6. Scroll down and click 034-0938 - which is the
link to the Using Imac pdf file.

Pete ...

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page