Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Broken Pin on CDROM Drive

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » The Archive » Broken Pin on CDROM Drive « Previous Next »

Bennie McCrary
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 1999 - 3:24 pm:   

I have a US Drives 32X CDROM that stopped working. I've discovered that one of the pins on the drive is broken off. The drive is a year old. Is there any way I can fix it to operate temporary until I can purchase another one.

Thanks for your help.
depova

The only real way to fix a pin like that is to replace the whole board on the cdrom. The only thing is you would probably have to order it unless you could find another cdrom that happens to have that same board. Another thing is after you pay for the board and shipping and go through the work to put it in you probably could have had a new cdrom that would be faster than the 32x.
Now I've encountered this before on a hard drive and tried to just replace the pin. I ended up shorting out the drive. Unless you use gold it doesn't really carry a good currant. Your probably better off just waiting and buying a new cdrom.
Ishi Carter

The row of connectors on the back of the cdroms are usually pretty standard...you should be able to unsolder one from someone's broken CDRom and solder it to yours.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page