Main Site Nav
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Motherboard Q

Trish's Escape from Hardware Hell Help Board » The Archive » Motherboard Q « Previous Next »

Paul Sadler
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 1999 - 3:25 pm:   

I'm in the market for a new Pentium2 and Pentium3 MB..
Ideally I'd like to get a genuine Intel, but I do not have the cash. Are the boards put out by ASUS, ABIT, etc. up to par with the Intel boards? Is the 440BX chipset the best chipset out right now?

Thanks.

-Paul
depova

The asus brand is pretty reliable. Another good one is the AX6B mainboard from aopen. Price is right for that one also.(around $140) It's a pentium2/3 and has the bx chipset. If you wait for a short while there should be a new chipset coming out on the next new boards. It will support the 133 mhz bus and probably start with the pentium3 600. It will probably support the lower pentium 3 processors as well. Also it will have the 4x agp.
Iconoclast

The Camino chipset you mentioned will support RDRAM (RIMM), USB2, UDMA66, and the FC-S370 platform in addition to AGP 4x and the 133 FSB. In fact, almost all motherboards already run stable overclocked to the 133Mhz FSB, but without proper AGP and PCI dividers. Unfortunately, if you buy a P3 now, the Camino motherboard won't work with it. You'll need a new Coppermine P3 and RDRAM to run with one of these motherboards.

I personally feel that Intel motherboards suck. They have absolutely no intuitiveness beyond the chipset put into the motherboard. Asus and Soyo make some of the most stable motherboards, and Gigabyte makes some good ones too. Don't get an Abit if you plan on overclocking, and Soyo is great for this too, especially the new 6BA+III.
Jimmy

This has little to do with the original post, but I wouldn't rule out the Abit yet. I have an Abit BH6, which I bought for relatively cheap. I'm using a Celeron 300a processor in it, which I successfully overclocked to 450 mhz. Benchmarks are showing that it runs as good as, and actually a bit better than a Pentium 2 450. This is, of course, because Pentium2 cache only runs at half the processor speed. I realize that most of this is off the original topic, but keep in mind the guy originally said that he didn't want to pay so much. For top performance at minimal price, I'd recommend the Celeron 400a with an Abit BX6 motherboard, which I've seen run at 504 mhz, and has continued to do so for quite some time with no error. The board and chip together cost about 160 bucks. That's what I found on Pricewatch.com, anyway.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page